Business people are always saying, “There’s not business around the holidays, what can I do? “Depending upon your type of business, you may be correct. The holidays might be the right time to build relationships, which may lead to more business. Instead of hiding away from the holidays, my suggestion is you get involved.
The holidays can be a lonely time, particularly if we think about what’s missing in our lives. Not everyone has a network of family or friends who will reach out to them. If this is your situation, then it’s time for you to reach become the catalyst for planning and event. This is a way to improve the customer experience and get to know your customers better.
Consider the holiday season a wonderful time to build customer connections and bring joy to your neighborhood. You might want to join with other merchants to decorate your street, sell Christmas trees and evergreens even serve hot chocolate outside. You can put the event on Facebook and also hold a drawing.
Here are some things you can do to bring joy to your life and improve your connections with your customers.
- Plan at least one event in your business to include past customers and friends. Ask your previous customers to invite friends to join them in your holiday party. The party can be a girl’s night out with a holiday theme. Include other businesses that have products to sell, jewelry, makeup or perfume. This way, people can buy last minute gifts as well as enjoy meeting new people. Don’t forget to decorate and put up holiday lights.
- Adopt a family for the holiday and get your customers involved. Have a list of sizes and things that the family will need. Your store can collect everything, and you can hold a wrapping party. This season my friends and I are adopting a family and helping to decorate their house. I have found that giving to others is a great way to forget about myself; I also don’t need a thing do you?
- Get your customers involved in Toys for Tots, local fund drive or collect food for the local animal shelter. Don’t forget to have something for children; this will certainly bring in their parents.
- When I was in business, we rented a piano over the holidays and had a group of customers whom were willing to come and sing holiday songs. We served snacks, wine and had a wonderful time.
- This is a good time to straighten up your mailing lists and plan for the next quarter. What kinds of events do you want to hold and how will you improve your business?
This is a great time for everyone to join in, find ways to give thanks and enjoy the holiday season in your special way.
Lisbeth Calandrino has been helping business improve their business strategies for over 20 years. To schedule a training or consultation, reach her at 518-495-5380 or [email protected]